Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~Kahlil Gibran

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Baked Heads and Broiled Grapefruit

It's National Grapefruit Month. Do we have a month for everything now? Oh well. In honor of the occasion, I decided that I had probably better find something that would actually make me WANT to eat a grapefruit. Don't get me wrong, I like them, I just find it hard to look forward to eating more than a half grapefruit, since I'm not into pouring white sugar on them like we did when I was a kid. So, I took a trip to one of my favorite food sites, recipes.com, and did a search for grapefruit recipes. Broiled grapefruit was on the first page three times. I thought that it sounded weird, but somehow interesting. I read some reviews, and the way that people had altered the recipes, then decided that to do my own version.

You are supposed to half the fruit, then cut around the segments, remove the pulp, then put the good stuff back into the half rind. I did that the first time. Then I realized that it was easier to simply peel the fruit, take out the sections, then broil the fruit in a dish that is broiler-proof. Some people added things, some took away things from the original recipe. I simply sprinkle the segments with pumpkin pie spice, then top it with dark brown sugar, and place it under the broiler until the sugar bubbles just a bit. I have never eaten an entire grapefruit in my life and then wished that I had more of them. Good thing the stores are all having sales on grapefruit right now, and as soon as I post this, I'm off to the city market.



I like to utilize my energy uses, whether it's grouping all my shopping into one mass trip to save gas, or using the oven and dryer while it's already hot. So I baked some WIPs that I have made in the last couple of days (after letting the oven get back down to 275ยบ. Don't want any smoldering heads, after all).

No comments:

Post a Comment