Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~Kahlil Gibran

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Cigar Box Challenge

So, the image I use for most of my profile pics- where did it come from? I belong to a local arts/crafts group, and last year around the end of August we were given a cigar box and challenged to see what we could come up with. I, of course, had thoughts of Halloween going through my head, trying to decide how I would decorate my house in less than a month. So I decided that the box would become a haunted house, which it did, and you can see a corner of that in the background.
I was planning on setting a jack-o-lantern outside the front door of the house, and a man-eating plant in the yard. I made the plant, but it didn't feel right. Then the thought occurred to me to combine the two. So hence my man-eating jack-o-lantern. He instantly became the focal point of my cigar box house, and has become the inspiration for future work.
He is made entirely from polymer clay. I shaped him around a golf ball, by elongating slices of a bull's eye cane, then sliced him open to create the mouth and remove the ball. I lined him with red clay, and added his teeth and tongue. The leaves (hard to see, on the left side) are slices of a leaf cane, and the stem is a twisted end of that cane.
I need to name him. Maybe Horace, any suggestions?

1 comment: